HMFCU is excited to announce that we are recipients of a 2018 CUNA Diamond Award! The Diamond Awards recognize outstanding marketing and business development achievements in the credit union industry.
The award was presented by the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Marketing & Business Development Council, a national network comprised of over 1,300 credit union marketing and business development professionals. Awards are given in each of 35 categories ranging from advertising to community events and beyond.
Houston Metropolitan won the Carat Award for Greatest Impact for its entry entitled Hurricane Harvey Member Outreach. Most Diamond Award categories are given to credit unions based on size so there can be several winners in any category. The Carat Award for Greatest Impact is only given to one credit union and we are that credit union!
Those few weeks immediately after Hurricane Harvey were critical in helping our members get back on track. Here's what we were able to do for you:
- $52,000 in Hurricane Assistance Grants; Houston Metropolitan FCU, in partnership with Los Angeles FCU and African American Credit Union Coalition, Staff nominated members and community individuals, based on need, and awarded each of them $1,000 grants
- Disaster Recovery Personal Loans; as of 12/31/17 loan officers authorized 182 signature loans totaling $173,000
- Flood Auto Replacement Loans; as of 12/31/17 over $520,000 was loaned out to affected members
- ATM Fees Waived; Fees from 5 ATMs from September 4-30, 2017 were waived totaling $3,575 back to the community
- GAP Policy Claims processed totaled approximately of $400,000
- Disaster Recovery Skip-A-Pay; 1,021 Harris Health Systems (SEG) and 2,014 City of Houston (SEG) members had their payments automatically skipped while 331 other members, for a total of 3366 members, took advantage of the Disaster Recovery Skip-A-Pay. Loan amount balances skipped were over $10,240,000 with over $500,000 in loan payments going back to members.
We are incredibly proud of the hard work put in by the team here at Houston Metropolitan. Here's what President and CEO Malcolm René had to say:
Our staff and management are committed to supporting our members in their time of need, and the scale and scope of affected Houstonians during Hurricane Harvey is a clear example of that. We had staff in our offices as soon as the water receded because they wanted to help. As was shown on the news countless times, Houston unofficially adopted the credit union motto of “People Helping People,” and we were able to use our strengths as a financial institution to help Houston rebuild.
Congratulations to everyone who had a part in helping Houston rebuild.